The Palpung monastery (Pelpung Thubten Chokhor Ling) was founded in 1727 by Kenting Tai Situpa Jugne. It is located nearly 4000 metres above sea level in Drida zalmongang of Derge County in Kham. The name Palpung derives from the combination of the words "Pal and "Pung". Palpung means "glorious union of study and practise". The Palpung monastery is one of the 25 blessed sites by the prominent Guru Rinpoche. In addition to this, the Palpung monastery is also regarded as the most sacred for the Karma Kagyupa sector, each year receiving many scholars.
So what is the purpose of the Palpung monastery? The Palpung monastery is a religious centre as well as a centre for living art and culture. The monastery contains a shrine hall as well as 25 dormitories for the monks. There are approximately 750 monks currently living in the Palpung monastery, with 250 of the monks being enrolled in the monastic university curriculum on the premises. The upper centre is where The Six Doctines of Niguma are taught and the lower centre is where The Six Yogas or Naropa are taught.
For years and years Palpung has kept and respected the work of many renowned Buddhist masters. Sadly, in 1993 an earthquake struck in the region of Derge county and the monastery was severely damaged. The architectural masterpiece that is the Palpung monastery may soon to become a monument of the past due to limited funding it receives. The monastery was enlisted onto the world's 100 most important endangered monuments.